Donate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
How to Make a Fabric Mask (Adult-Sized)
Please remember to package your donation within a sealed container and labeled “Homemade Masks”
You will need:
- Cotton fabric
- Rope elastic; beading cord elastic will work (You may also use 1/8" flat elastic)
- Cut the elastic 7" long. You will need two strips for each mask. If you can't find elastic, you can cut strips of fabric.
- Cut your fabric in 9”x6” rectangles
- Put the two pieces of fabric together with the print side facing in. You can pin them before sewing if that is helpful.
- Starting on the 9" side at the mid point, start sewing towards the corner. Before finishing the side, place the elastic on the bottom of the fabric and finish sewing to the corner. A few stitches forward and back will hold this.
- Sew to the next corner, stop and bring the other end of the same elastic to corner and sew a few stitches forward and back. Do not sew on the elastic. Just sew the ends so the elastic stays in place.
- Turn the fabric and sew across the top of the mask towards the corner. Add the other piece of elastic before sewing to the end of the fabric.
- On the final side, sew about 2" down and stop. Cut the thread. Turn inside out.
- Pin 3 tucks (a fold) on each side of the mask. Make sure the tucks are the same direction.
- Sew around the edges of the mask, removing any pins as you get closer.
- To reinforce the stitches, sew around the full mask one more time. Add a few stitches forward and back at the end to seal the stitch.
- Cut the thread and your mask is complete.