Inglis Community Services
Home Modifications for Independence
Home Modifications for Independence (HMI) helps homeowners and renters remain independent by staying in their homes through grant-funded home modifications.
The HMI program provides access to home modifications for people with various disabilities, those living with traumatic spinal cord injuries, as well as older adults. Our programs are both statewide and location-specific, depending on the need.
Start our screening form (link opens in new window)
Homeowners or renters who wish to apply for HMI grants must meet certain income requirements and other eligibility criteria.
HMI is funded by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), the Neilsen Foundation, and the PA Department of Community and Economic Development (DCED).
Home Modification examples include:
- Grab bars/railings, tub/shower transfer bench
- Accessible kitchen/bathroom features
- Access ramps
- Motorized chair lift
- Raised toilet seat/supports
- Fall prevention/safety features
“Before [the home modification] I literally couldn’t go outside — it’s changed our lives a great deal.”
We are accepting applications for our Older Adults Home Modification Program and our Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury Program. If you do not qualify for these programs, (see criteria below), you are still able to fill out our screening form below to secure a spot on our waitlist for our other grant, which is currently approximately two years long at this time.
Older Adults Program Criteria:
- 62 years of age or older
- Lives in these West Philadelphia zip codes: 19104, 19121, 19131, 19132, 19139
- Lives in these Central PA counties: Cumberland, Dauphin, Perry, Juniata, Mifflin, Huntingdon, Snyder, Union, Northumberland
- Income restrictions also apply
Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury Program Criteria:
- No age requirement
- Traumatic spinal cord injury
- Homeowner or renter
- Live within the state of Pennsylvania
- Income restrictions apply
Please continue to check back on this website for further updates on our programming.