Engineering & Maintenance DirectorApply Now
We are currently seeking an experienced Engineering & Maintenance Director for Inglis Housing Corporation in Philadelphia, PA. The Engineering & Maintenance Director will be responsible for the supervision of the maintenance program for over 300 affordable housing units throughout the Philadelphia region; oversight and hands-on preparation for REAC inspections; and technical leadership in new housing development and capital improvement projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in the hiring of and provide technical support and training to the Maintenance technicians.
- Provide positive, clear and constructive performance feedback to Maintenance technicians, and support their professional development.
- Develop and maintain an effective and responsive group of specialty contractors to ensure the needs of the properties are addressed timely and within budget.
- Conduct routine inspections and follow-up of work completed by staff during REAC inspections and large projects.
- Draft specifications, bids and requests for proposals with the assistance and input of the Regional Property Manager and Property Managers.
- Monitor Capital Needs Assessments, develop a 5-year plan for each of the properties and assist in the implementation of those plans with the Regional Property Manager and Property Manager.
- Make energy saving recommendations whenever necessary.
- Develop and execute preventive maintenance schedules for apartment units, common areas and building systems on an as needed basis.
- Provide direction and technical expertise for large capital improvement projects.
- Develop and implement all site policies and procedures for the effective delivery of maintenance services on an as needed basis.
- Notify the Property Manager and Regional Property Manager of noted violations of the development's policies. Make recommendations for policy changes whenever necessary.
- Perform annual buildings and grounds inspections and prepare a report for presentation to the owner(s) and Property Management Team.
- Participate in evening board meetings as requested.
- Read and interpret documents such as building codes, governmental regulations, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables.
- Other duties as assigned.
- The ability to participate in emergency calls is a must. On-call emergencies are considered any incident involving life-safety issues, floods, fires, earthquakes, other natural disasters or major destruction or threat to physical property.
Qualifications for this position:
- Minimum high school education or equivalent required. BS in Engineering, or other degree plus a facilities management certification, preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience in housing management required.
- Must be willing to travel throughout the greater Philadelphia and South Jersey region. Periodic statewide travel may be necessary with new capital projects.
- Strong knowledge of REAC inspections protocol is necessary.
- Experience in multifamily maintenance and experience involving public contact preferred.
- Work order management experience.
- This is a hands-on position; candidates must have experience with painting, plumbing, electrical, appliance repair, and carpentry.
- Knowledge of affordable housing property maintenance is required.
- Experience managing scattered sites is preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and strong customer service skills. Ability and interest in working with people from diverse backgrounds and with people with disabilities required.
- Experience and skills in training and supervising maintenance team members.
- A valid driver's license and vehicle are required.
- Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook; familiarity with Yardi software preferred.