IHC Maintenance SuperintendentApply Now
We are currently seeking an experienced Maintenance Superintendent for Inglis Housing Corporation in Philadelphia, PA. The Maintenance Superintendent will be responsible for the supervision of the maintenance program for over 300 affordable housing units throughout the Philadelphia region; oversight and hands-on preparation for REAC inspections; and technical leadership in new housing development and capital improvement projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in the hiring of and provide technical support and training to the Maintenance technicians.
- Provide positive, clear and constructive performance feedback to Maintenance technicians, and support their professional development.
- Develop and maintain an effective and responsive group of specialty contractors to ensure the needs of the properties are addressed timely and within budget.
- Coordinate routine inspections and follow-up of work completed by staff during REAC inspections and large projects.
- Draft specifications, bids and requests for proposals with the assistance and input of the Regional Property Manager and Property Managers.
- Monitor Capital Needs Assessments, develop a 5-year plan for each of the properties and assist in the implementation of those plans with the Regional Property Manager and Property Manager.
- Develop and execute preventive maintenance schedules for apartment units, common areas and building systems on an as needed basis.
- Provide direction and technical expertise for large capital improvement projects.
- Develop and implement all site policies and procedures for the effective delivery of maintenance services on an as needed basis.
- Notify the Property Manager and Regional Property Manager of noted violations of the development's policies. Make recommendations for policy changes whenever necessary.
- Perform annual buildings and grounds inspections and prepare a report for presentation to the owner(s) and Property Management Team.
- Participate in evening board meetings as requested.
- Read and interpret documents such as building codes, governmental regulations, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables.
- Have direct control over utility usage and apply conservation measures to help reduce expenses, i.e., time controls for exterior lighting, controlled thermostats in common areas, water saving devices, and periodic conservation inspections by the on-site Maintenance Team.
- Supervise apartment make ready services’ during unit turnover and participate in turnover work.
- Provide technical and educational assistance to all maintenance and Janitor/Porter staff
- Coordinate maintenance schedule and ensure adequate coverage at all sites.
- Assign tasks to maintenance and janitorial personnel for group work
- Coordinate inspection and repair of communities prior to Federal, State or local inspections
- Monitor Maintenance, Janitorial and contractors performing services on-site, as required by Property Manager.
- Continually inspect property and improvements, recording and reporting deficiencies to the Property Manager, and assist with annual site inspections.
- Carry out routine maintenance and emergency coverage, as instructed by Property Manager. Carry out field rotation assignments to other sites, as needed. Review and assist in the update of all P.M. manuals
- Adhere to all maintenance and purchasing directives as per the manual of operations and procedures, including, but not limited to: property inspections, maintenance work orders, landscaping and grounds, safety and security, special maintenance items, and stock inventory.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ability to participate in emergency calls is a must. On-call emergencies are considered any incident involving life-safety issues, floods, fires, earthquakes, other natural disasters or major destruction or threat to physical property.
Qualifications for this position:
• Minimum high school education or equivalent required. Bachelors degree or a facilities management certification, preferred.
• Minimum three – five (3-5) years’ experience in housing management required.
• Must be willing to travel throughout the greater Philadelphia and South Jersey region. Periodic statewide travel may be necessary with new capital projects.
• Strong knowledge of REAC inspections protocol is necessary.
• Experience in multifamily maintenance and experience involving public contact preferred.
• This is a hands-on position; candidates must have experience with painting, plumbing, electrical, appliance repair, and carpentry.
• Knowledge of affordable housing property maintenance is required.
• Experience managing scattered sites is preferred.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and strong customer service skills. Ability and interest in working with people from diverse backgrounds and with people with disabilities required.
• Experience and skills in training and supervising maintenance team members.
• A valid driver's license and vehicle are required.
• Must have working knowledge in the use of Microsoft Outlook; familiarity with Yardi workorder system preferred.